Federal Income Tax Credit
- Base incentive amount: $2500.
- Plus: $417, plus “$417 for each kilowatt hour of capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours, … not to exceed $5000“: $5000.
(The Nissan Leaf’s battery has a capacity of 24 kwH.)
- Total: $7500.
- “Energy Incentives for Individuals in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act”, at irs.gov.
- “Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-48, New Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, at irs.gov.
- Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Tax Credit, at the U.S. Department of Energy‘s Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center (AFDC).
- If your Federal income tax liability is less than the vehicle credit, you do not get the excess credit as a refund nor can you “carry it forward”, according to the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009”, at the U.S. Government Printing Office: