As the launch of the Golf GTE grows nearer, Volkswagen has been increasing press releases and has been providing complete and thorough details on the plug-in hybrid vehicle.
Golf GTE Specifications
- The Golf GTE can cover up to 50 km in all-electric driving; its total range is around 940 km.
- 1.5 l/100 km and 11.4 kWh/100 km average fuel consumption (NEDC*) equates to CO2 emissions of 35 g/km.
- With the GTE, the Golf becomes the world’s first car to offer all relevant types of drive systems.
- The new Golf GTE combines zero-emission driving and long distance cruising in one car
- A turbocharged direct-injection engine (TSI) develops 110 kW / 150 PS and the electric motor up to 75 kW / 102 PS.
- plug-in hybrid system power is 150 kW / 204 PS; its maximum torque is 350 Nm.
- The GTE is the third GT of the model series after the Golf icons GTI and GTD; it has the same sporty DNA.
- The new Golf GTE has a top speed of 222 km/h and accelerates to 100 km/h in just 7.6 seconds.
- Standard GTE features include LED headlights and the “Composition Media” radio system with a 6.5-inch display.
- 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds
- top speed of 138 mph in GTE mode. 81 mph in E-Mode
- electric range of 31 miles on the NEDC test cycle, which translates to around 20 miles on the US EPA test
- 188 MPGe
- 8.7 kWh lithium ion battery pack, fuel tank size of 40 liters
- top speed of 135 mph, with a top electric speed of around 81 mph
- recharging time is 2 hours on a Level 2 EVSE
The gasoline engine is a turbocharged 1.4liter direct injected four cylinder. In tandem with the electric motor, it produces 204 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. The torque is actually limited to prevent overworking the dual-clutch system in the transmission.
The battery pack is located under the rear seats, where the gasoline tank is typically located. As a result, the gas tank is mounted farther back requiring the rear cargo floor to be raised slightly (similar to the Volkswagen e-Golf). The gas tank capacity was also lowered from the 50 liters found on the other Golf models down to 40 liters.
Towing capacity for the Golf GTE will be up to 1500kg, although the tow hitch tow bar is quite expensive.