Unveiled at the 2018 LA Auto Show, the 2020 Kia Soul EV will share some electric powertrain components with the Kia Niro EV and Hyundai Kona EV.
They will use the same 64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack with liquid cooling. Range should be well over 200 miles per charge.
Kia is limiting the newly designed Soul EV to certain areas of the USA, perhaps because of the Niro EV?
The 2020 Soul EV will have four drive modes – Eco, Comfort, Eco + and Sport. Each drive mode will adjust power output to the motor, as well as regenerative braking settings, and limit speeds to help manage operating efficiency.
2020 Kia Soul EV Press Release
ALL-NEW 2020 KIA SOUL EVi COMBINES SOUL-FUL VIBE WITH ALL-ELECTRIC BUZZ
Super Cool and Electric Too
• Next-generation uber-popular urban runabout again available with battery-only power
• Powered by a state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery
• Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charge is standard equipmentii
• 201-horsepower electric motor with 291 lb.-ft. of torque
LOS ANGELES, November 28, 2018 – Today Kia Motors America (KMA) introduced the 2020 Soul, a completely new version of Kia’s beloved, award-winning and unconventional compact utility vehicle. In conjunction with that world-debut, the all-electric, battery-powered Soul EV was also unveiled. Just as quirky, fun-loving and crowd-pleasing, the Soul EV provides the opportunity for lovers of the Soul to drive without ever stopping for gas.
A Much Better Battery
The new Soul EV has a new state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery which is expected to mean much less need for daily charging, and with Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-chargeiii as standard equipment, battery refills should be brief so road trip fun can happily continue after only a short break.
The new battery is currently being tested to ascertain precise EPA-estimated range. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date.
Driving Dynamics – The Soul EV is More Fun Than Ever
The Soul EV has always provided a bit of a magic carpet ride, whisking along silently with seemingly effortless pull. Now, with 201 horsepower and 291 lb.-ft. of torque (way up from 210 lb.-ft. in the outgoing model), drivers will feel like a virtual Aladdin. Handling and driving dynamics are also much improved, thanks to the addition of independent rear suspension. The new Soul EV also provides plenty of tools for drivers to customize their driving experience and their battery usage, including:
• Four drive modes – Eco, Comfort, Sport and Eco+ – that automatically adjust power output to the traction motor, regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating settings, and set speed limits to help manage operating efficiencyiv depending on driving conditions
• Smart regenerative braking operated via paddle shifters provides drivers the ability to slow the car and capture kinetic energy, adding extra range. Drivers can choose from four regen braking levels (0 to 3) depending on desired driving smoothness, enjoyment and efficiency
• Brake and Hold System feature allows regen paddle shifter to bring the car to a full stopv
• Smart Regen System adjusts the regenerative braking level based on a vehicle being detected in front of the Soul EV and creates smoother coast-down driving, especially when descending a steep roadvi
• Smart Eco Pedal Guide display on the instrument cluster keeps the driver aware of real-time battery usage based on accelerator pedal input
Technology Befitting a Thoroughly Modern Vehicle
The Soul EV comes equipped with a long list of state-of-the-art features to help enhance safety, improve the driving experience and provide ease of operation and ownership. Kia engineers and designers have thought of everything. Every Soul EV includes a suite of “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems, and a long list of standard and optional equipment, highlights of which are listed below.
• High-tech rotary shifter (shift-by-wire)
• 10.25-inch color touchscreenvii with rear view monitorviii and parking guidance
• 6-speaker audio system (AM/FM/SiriusXM)ix with USB input
• Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
• Apple CarPlayx and Android Autoxi
• Bluetoothxii wireless connectivity with voice recognition
• 7 airbagsxiii (dual front advanced air bags, dual front seat-mounted side air bags, side curtain air bags with rollover sensor, driver’s side knee air bag)
• Vehicle Safety Systemsxiv
◦ Antilock braking
◦ Traction control
◦ Electronic stability control
◦ Hill-start assist control
◦ Tire pressure monitoring system
◦ Pedestrian warning system
• “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)xv
◦ Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
◦ Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
◦ Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
◦ Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
◦ Driver Attention Warning (DAW)xvi
◦ Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
◦ Blind Spot Collision Warning (BSW) (available)
◦ Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (available)
◦ Parking Distance Warning – Reverse only (available)
New for Soul EV is a revamped UVOxvii telematics system that allows owners to monitor and control a long list of vehicle operations, including:
• Notifications of battery and charging status
• Real-time charging station update
• Scheduled charging
• Panic notifications – the vehicle will send a notification to the server if the panic alarm is triggered and the system dials 911 emergency services, provides the car position via GPS, and opens a live microphone so that emergency workers can communicate with the vehicle occupants
• “Send2Car” points of interest (POI) and waypoints — owners will be able to plan a road trip with waypoints and send it to the vehicles’ navigation system
Made in Korea and One Soul with a Whole Lot More
Built at the Gwangju plant in Korea, the Soul EV is expected to go on sale next year. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date. Buyers can choose from two trims, the Soul EV and the Soul EV Designer Collection. Supporting its super-fancy sounding name, the Designer Collection model gets all the Soul EV goodies, plus a whole lot more, including:
• Two-tone paint: Gravity Grey with a Platinum Gold roof; Cherry Black with an Inferno Red roof; and Neptune Blue with a Cherry Black roof
• Power-folding gloss-black heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors with signal repeater
• 10-speaker Harman/Kardonxviii premium audio with external amplifier
• Wireless phone chargerxix
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel
• Heated front seats with Sofino premium non-animal seating upholstery
• Auto-dimming rear view mirror