The LEAF has electrically assisted steering. An electric motor provides assist via a reduction gear. The motor is located near the top of the the steering column, between the steering wheel and the first universal joint. The Electric Power Steering (EPS) control unit receives input such as such steering wheel turning force (sensor signal), steering torque from the torque sensor, vehicle speed signal, etc. .
- How to reset passenger airbag light: first make sure that the light is only due to user error, such as failing to re-connect wiring harnesses properly, not due to actual malfunction.
- Step on brake & push power button.
- Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the car off instantly.
- Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)
- Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.
- Now step on the brake & turn the car on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.
- Now turn the car off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.
- Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page STC-8.